Samurai training has been an integral part of Japanese culture for hundreds of years. It focused on the overall development of the warrior and not just the physical aspects. Poetry, philosophy and literature were common subjects for Samurai students, along with the combat lessons.The aim of this training is to enable the mind and body to reach its fullest potential. Becoming a samurai was a privilege of only the noblest minds, who could embrace the training and come out successful. It was a great responsibility and Samurais went on to become some of the important scholars, warriors, writers and leaders of feudal Japan.
Is Samurai Training Useful in Modern Times?
The benefit of this kind of specialized training definitely applies to the modern world also. There are many aspects which can help individuals excel in their day to day lives. Of course, physical strength and ability is one of the core elements of the training, but it is not limited to just this. Here we look at some of the major benefits of undergoing this training.
1. Physical Aspects: The obvious physical benefits include increased strength, fitness and endurance. The physical rigors of everyday training will have a market effect on your body. It will help you reach the highest levels of strength and agility. There will be a profound effect on your muscles and cardiovascular fitness. Regular training will also help in reducing risks of major illnesses like heart disease, diabetes and stroke. It also boosts your self-esteem and helps you lead a physically active life. People who regularly practice Samurai exercises will also avoid depression, dementia and other such illnesses. Also, this kind of training focuses on every part of the body. So you will have a wholesome growth which extends to all areas of your body.
2. Combat Aspects: In the modern world, you never know when a situation might arise where you need to protect yourself or your loved ones through physical force. For any such eventuality, you will be completely equipped with the kind of training a Samurai undergoes. There will never be any need to feel fearful while defending oneself and you will be able to handle any situation with complete ease. One of the first lessons is that violence is to be completely abhorred and the good samurai uses it only as a last resort. Having this kind of knowledge will help you stay calm and focused in any situation.
3. Mental Benefits: This is possibly the most important training that Samurai students will undergo. The mental benefits of this are immense and you will yourself a changed person after going through this. It improves concentration, mental well being and spiritual understanding of every individual. This is a quality which will prove useful in every aspect of life. Professional, personal and family life will all benefit from the many mental benefits of this training. Though you may posses the skills to fight against anyone, you will also learn how to have good conflict resolution abilities.
What are the Important Elements of Samurai Training?
1. Mediation: This is one of the most important ideas and all good Samurais are known to practice meditation regularly. It is a great stress buster and helps you to truly understand the way of the samurai.
2. Bushido: This refers to the code of values that every samurai was expected to adhere to. Every samurai student is expected to go through this and understand the various nuances of the historical philosophy.
3. Physical Training: Intense physical workouts are also a very integral part of this training. The rigors of everyday training will benefit you physically and help you in any combat situations.
4. Healthy Diet: Eating in a healthy and nutritious manner is also a very important aspect of this training. The right kinds of food which nurture the body in the best manner are chosen carefully. It enables you to lose weight and improve fitness.
5. Serving others: This is a very important part of being a Samurai. It is essential the the warrior also be a servant for the public and this is one of the tenets that is most stressed in training.
In this way we can see that this training will help you become a complete and wholesome individual. Stick to your training will and you will come out a changed person.
[atp_youtube keyword=”Samurai Training”]